River line data from an external data source such as GIS files can be imported into the network. River line profile data can be viewed and edited via the property sheet. Lines can also be digitised directly on the GeoPlan Window.
There are two types of line object available:
- Cross Section Lines - used to build river sections of a River Reach or bridge sections of a Bridge
- Bank Lines - used to update left and right bank profiles of the River Reach or the profile of an Inline Bank
Sampling elevations from a ground model
Selected cross section lines can be rotated, either by a specified angle, or perpendicular to an intersecting river reach line or bridge link.
The rotation functionality is carried out on the current selection:
- Select the cross section lines to be rotated
- Select any intersecting links or lines that are to be used in the rotation process
- Choose Geometry | Rotate selected cross-section lines from the Model menu
- The Rotate Selected Cross Section Lines dialog is displayed
- Select the appropriate options in the dialog and click Rotate to apply rotation.
Rotate cross section line by angle
To rotate selected cross section lines by a specified angle:
- Enter an angle of rotation in the rotation dialog. Angles are in degrees, with positive angles representing clockwise rotation.
- Select the point about which selected lines are to be rotated:
- Lowest point - if there is no unique low point on the section, the mid-point of the two extreme points that have the lowest elevation is used
- Intersection with selected link - this option is enabled when at least one river reach/bridge link is selected. Each selected cross section line is rotated about the point at which it intersects a selected river reach/bridge link. If the cross-section line intersects the selected link multiple times, the line will be rotated around the first point of intersection.
- Intersection with selected general line - this option is enabled when at least one general line is selected. Each selected cross-section line is rotated about the point at which it intersects a selected general line. If the cross-section line intersects the selected general line multiple times, the cross-section line will be rotated around the first point of intersection.
Use the Rotate buttons to apply the rotation (this may be repeated multiple times). Click Close to dismiss the dialog after rotation has been carried out.
Rotate cross section line perpendicular to links
The rotate cross section lines Perpendicular to selected links option is enabled on the rotation dialog when the current selection includes at least one river reach link or bridge link.
Use the Rotate buttons to apply the rotation. Click Close to dismiss the dialog after rotation has been carried out.
Each selected cross section line that intersects a single selected river reach/bridge link is rotated about the intersection point until it is perpendicular to the link line.
Selected cross sections are rotated about the point of intersection with the river reach / bridge link.
Extending selected cross sections
Selected cross sections can be automatically extended by a specified distance or to intersections with one or more selected bank lines. See the Extending Selected Cross Sections topic for further information.